M-185 Version 1.6 Testing

edited November 2012 in M-185
Thank you for the 1.6 update, very nice features like re-size, Scales, fixed MIDI, etc...REALLY NICE:-)

Some observations:
   Takes really long time to load, about 1 minute! (W-7 64bit), takes about 3 minutes! to erase midi settings....M185 goes in coma and recovers and relapses back in coma when you try to load a (newly made) template...3 minutes later M185 regains consciousness...

Since MIDI was overhauled I had to start from scratch and make a new template in BCR2k....(no problem)
Everything is OK, got template made, saved, saved current as default. 
When I reload M185, evrything is OK except some midi functions for the 8 stages (8 note steps in rectangle) don't load as saved midi function and midi assign can't be saved for those 8. (It can be saved as text but doesn't load even if I erase it, load the new text, those just don't work...

Otherwise, really appreciate the update and waiting impatiently for CycliC...
Have nice weekend:-)

From the saved text file:
-Control-, -CC- -Channel-;
Clock_Divide, 21 1;
Direction, 20 1;
Internal_or_MIDI, 3 1;
Manual_Step, 0 1;
Max_Steps, 123 1;
Note_Duration, 119 1;
Note_Value_1, 45 1;
Note_Value_2, 46 1;
Note_Value_3, 47 1;
Note_Value_4, 48 1;
Note_Value_5, 49 1;
Note_Value_6, 50 1;
Note_Value_7, 51 1;
Note_Value_8, 52 1;
Number_Stages, 122 1;
Number_Steps_1, 53 1;
Number_Steps_2, 54 1;
Number_Steps_3, 61 1;
Number_Steps_4, 62 1;
Number_Steps_5, 72 1;
Number_Steps_6, 73 1;
Number_Steps_7, 80 1;
Number_Steps_8, 81 1;
Play, 4 1;
Presets, 5 1;
Rewind, 18 1;
Scale, 92 1;
Scale_Root_Note, 104 1;
Scale_Type, 105 1;
Stage_Activate_1, 57 1;
Stage_Activate_2, 58 1;
Stage_Activate_3, 59 1;
Stage_Activate_4, 60 1;
Stage_Activate_5, 55 1;
Stage_Activate_6, 56 1;
Stage_Activate_7, 44 1;
Stage_Activate_8, 125 1;
Stage_Mode_1, 19 1;
Stage_Mode_2, 118 1;
Stage_Mode_3, 120 1;
Stage_Mode_4, 121 1;
Stage_Mode_5, 114 1;
Stage_Mode_6, 115 1;
Stage_Mode_7, 116 1;
Stage_Mode_8, 117 1;
Transpose, 91 1;

Comments

• Is it possible to add a button to chose scan VSTs? 
    It is somewhat useless to scan all the time, every time you load a sequencer...
    Just saying...
  • edited November 2012
    Thank you for the 1.6 update, very nice features like re-size, Scales, fixed MIDI, etc...REALLY NICE:-)
    Thanks for your patience, I know this update took a long time to arrive...
    Some observations:
       Takes really long time to load, about 1 minute! (W-7 64bit)
    Does the main screen not even show for 1 minute, or does it show, but then start scanning plugins?  If the former, then it may be a problem with the MIDI controller mapping (see below); if the latter, then it may be a problem with VST scanning (also see below)...
    takes about 3 minutes! to erase midi settings....M185 goes in coma and recovers and relapses back in coma when you try to load a (newly made) template...3 minutes later M185 regains consciousness...
    I see what you mean - though it didn't take 3 minutes, I tried your example text file and it took ~1 minute here on my Mac.  In my testing, I have only been using short test files with a much smaller number of controllers.... Was the behavior like this in previous versions too, or just with this new version?  I will have to look into optimizing this to not take so long.
    Since MIDI was overhauled I had to start from scratch and make a new template in BCR2k....(no problem)
    Everything is OK, got template made, saved, saved current as default. 
    When I reload M185, evrything is OK except some midi functions for the 8 stages (8 note steps in rectangle) don't load as saved midi function and midi assign can't be saved for those 8. (It can be saved as text but doesn't load even if I erase it, load the new text, those just don't work...
    Thanks, that's a bug, will look at it ASAP....
  • Is it possible to add a button to chose scan VSTs? 
    It is somewhat useless to scan all the time, every time you load a sequencer...
    Just saying...
    It shouldn't scan *all* the VSTs each time it starts - it should only scan new ones it has never seen before, or ones that it previously had a problem loading for some reason.  Does it scan *all* your plugins each time?  If so, something is not right... 
  • Dan, sorry to be the one with "bad" news...but someone has to do it;-)(wink)...and thank you for the update...

When I load M185, the black page with: Defective Records M185 sequencer and "Initializing" opens...wait between 30-40 seconds to get out of initialize, then: if it is first time load after re-boot, it scans VSTs-20-30 seconds, if I close and reopen M185, then it is only 30-40 sec. for initialize...and scan only flashes-done=instant.

To erase all: 1min, 57 sec...and M185 goes into (Not Responding)
    To load text file: 3min 37 sec (Not Responding)...real time with an online stopwatch...
    To delete one "selected entry"4 seconds...all these functions used to be instant.
    I don't know what happened, previous version didn't have this problem, never noticed slightest glitch...

About scanning:
    It seems to me that M185 does't remember that it scanned already yesterday, so it re-scans just to make sure:)
    If I close it and reopen, no scan, just a flash...only init. takes 1 minute...
    Good hunting...thanx for support
    PS, will you do cyclic before Klee? What's there to do on Klee? I thought it was perfect/finished...
    Cheers
  • Yeah, something is definitely not right with the MIDI CC map loading, will have to dig in to the code to understand what I broke... Sorry!

Good news is that I figured out what is wrong with the control of the number of steps per stage by MIDI.  That will definitely get released in a bug fix release.

Re: plugin scanning - can you verify that you have a filed called Plugin_cache.txt , located at c:/Users/YOUR_USERNAME/AppData/Roaming/M185/ ?  (the AppData directory is normally hidden, so you might have to adjust your settings to see it.).  If you do have that file, can you confirm that it contains your plugins within it?

Re: Klee, I added the same scaling functionality for the MIDI CC controllers (though now I'm not so sure I should have!), and also the ability to manually add a MIDI controller (compared with only by MIDI learn).  Users who send CCs via a DAW (compared with a physical controller) complained that there was no way to program CC control without the addition of this feature.  Finally, I also added the ability to save the default MIDI map and controller device, as well as the app size feature.  It's almost ready, just have to finish the documentation and package it up.  But now that's on hold until I fix this M185 stuff..
  • Follow up to report that I have made good progress with figuring out a better approach to the MIDI CC map loading - it's MUCH faster (essentially instantaneous) on my Mac.  I'm using a 3rd party Max object that still needs to be compiled for Windows, but hopefully I'll have that later this week.
  • The new 1.6.1 version is now available for download.  It fixes two bugs:

• Fixed bug where number of steps per stage not controllable by MIDI when saved CC map re-loaded
    • Improved speed of loading and deleting MIDI CC maps with large number of controllers defined