M-185 future request

edited March 2011 in M-185
Hello,
One thing that would be great, is to have SCALE function.
An on/off switch would activate Scale function, starting always on stage #1, and based on the ROOT note of stage # 1. 
If you choose for example "Mixolidian_b6" scale, only notes that are in that scale would be active/sound... 

I realize that it (Scales) might be a very complex thing, but you did it in Klee, and M-185 being a mono instrument,... well, I am hoping for the best:)

Cheers

Comments

• I'll have to look into it - it actually might not be that tough, using what I learned when I implemented it in the Klee...  Thanks regardless for the suggestion!
  • The SCALES would be great, I had the idea when I ran a few M185s playing different vsts, and they started to sound "out of tune", because one had notes changed and the new one was playing the 'default' scale...
    (Small detail: could default run C3s across instead of scale?)

What I really like is that M-185 remembers vsts, patches (snapshots) and different sounds that got saved.
    And it also remembers (in preset save) if I used internal or midi clock, which is great!

I personally would like to have most features of M185 "midi assignable", so I can control most things with a midi controller...
    All controls inside 'Pattern', 'Stages' and 'Transport'...
    It is a great sequencer:) 

cheers 

• The SCALES would be great, I had the idea when I ran a few M185s playing different vsts, and they started to sound "out of tune", because one had notes changed and the new one was playing the 'default' scale...
    (Small detail: could default run C3s across instead of scale?)
    Sure, I'll do that in the next version.  The scale was implemented mostly for when I was building/testing, and then I just left it in in the final version...
    What I really like is that M-185 remembers vsts, patches (snapshots) and different sounds that got saved.
    And it also remembers (in preset save) if I used internal or midi clock, which is great!
    I worked hard on all these things, as in my previous applications I couldn't quite get this all working well.  For example, when storing the VST info in a preset, what would happen when I tried this in the past is that even if the same VST was used in two different presets, it would automatically get reloaded by the app when the preset was loaded (even though that was unnecessary), causing a discontinuity in the sound. It sounds trivial to fix, but within Max it turned out to be pretty tricky...
    I personally would like to have most features of M185 "midi assignable", so I can control most things with a midi controller...
    All controls inside 'Pattern', 'Stages' and 'Transport'...
    Already on the "to-do" list!  :-)
    It is a great sequencer:) 
    Thanks!  Would love to hear and/or see (i.e. a YouTube video) what you and others are doing with it!
    cheers 

• I wish M185 had (at least) "minimal midi control possibility", just basic stuff...that would be <G.R.E.A.T>

Best, GT

• Already on the list!  :-) 

Thanks for the feedback!
  • edited April 2011
    MIDI please
    MIDI please
    MIDI please
    MIDI please

...and the windows only: click anywhere 'grub' to activate M-185
  • Hello Dan,
    what do you think of the idea of being able to assign Presets function also to notes on midi kbd, like each 'circle' will have an assignable or 'hardwired' note, you choose to move a pot/button or play a note : 1=C-2, 2=C#2, 3=D-2,etc....nice when you want to change preset at a precise moment, to avoid re-starting after a 'cycle' has started...Takes barely an octave and a 1/2 of keyboard...
    I would vote (if I had to choose) for note assignment only...

Have a great weekend:)
    Karel

• Maybe - though I don't like to have multiple different functions assigned to MIDI keys;  you would have to indicate a different MIDI device or channel to control the presets, versus selecting notes (from the other recent thread), and it will start to get messy and confusing.  
  • I see what you mean, (if you scrapped ALSO  from previous thread),  and made it to notes only and you use same midi device,  would it be simpler?
    It is more precise to hit a note to change a preset then turn a pot or button.

I experimented with assigning same CC to 2 buttons one going up 1-8, the second going down 8-1 to change number of stages, works great,  jumps to the last button used...preset worked the same way 16-1/1-16, only problem is I never know where I am, my controller don't show last midi action permanently...oh well..
    ThAnX anyway for all the improvements, features, etc....
  • No, the problem is not using both CC and MIDI notes for the M185 note control; it is that if I use note control for the M185 notes, but also use note control for presets, it will mean having to keep track of too many MIDI devices, which I think will be confusing:

MIDI clock input device
    MIDI CC input device and channel
    MIDI note control input device and channel
    MIDI preset control input device and channel

Technically I think I can do it, but practically, I think it will make things confusing for the end user...
  • Just wanted to add my vote for a Klee-style scale function... :-)

Cheers,
    Tony
  • edited July 2011

Hi there - new Klee and M-185 user here - love'em both in different ways!

Regarding scale quantize (yes please), I think it would be cool if there was also a global transpose function.

• Thanks to you both - both requests duly noted!