BCR2000 MIDI Files for M185

edited May 2011 in M-185
Greetings everybody,
I am posting 3 files for M-185's future update for nice midi control:-)....almost no mouse! 

The M-185 Template.txt file must be converted back to sysex via BC Manager. 
Use: Copy the 2 text files into your M-185 folder and load them into two (or one) M185s and enable BCR2000 midi controller.
Convert the M-185 Template file to sysex and load into BCR2k. 

If you run into problems with conversion, I will post the sysex file on bc2000 yahoo group.
Have fun

Comments

• Thanks Soundwave!  These will work with the forthcoming v1.5 of the M185 sequencer, that Soundwave is beta testing at the moment...
  • @soundwave - I downloaded your files & installed them into my newly-acquired BCR2000 & a couple of instances of M-185 in what I believe is the correct manner, but clearly something is amiss somewhere, as I'm getting some funny behaviour...

The main effect seems to be that several of the rotary encoders (most notably those for setting the number of stages & number of steps, for example nos. 41 & 49 in the screen shot) only output values in the range 0-3, which means that if I twiddle them I end up with only 3 stages in my M-185 instead of 8.

Now, I'm quite prepared to accept that I've done something unutterably stupid, but I can't for the life of me see what - any ideas?

Cheers,
    Tony

• edited July 2011
    Hey tony,
    i don't know what is happening, they work perfectly here. (I just tried it)
    Try opening one M185 and load text 1 and rows: E1, 1GATE1, E33-40 should work.
    Then load text 2 and other other lines should work.  Row E49-56 share both e.i. #1,#2 
    Activate midi device on (in setup)for note control, the midi plugs should turn on/off in E1 midi on/off
    Did you translate the M185 text?
  • Thanks, Soundwave - I'll try doing what you suggest later this evening (don't have time right now). And yes, I did translate the text file - at least, I loaded it into BC Manager & sent it to the BCR2000 that way - there was certainly much flashing of lights on the device while the download was in progress, and no errors, so I'm assuming that everything was transmitted OK.

Cheers,
    Tony
  • OK, so I found the time to have a bit of a play :-)

What I did was this:
    1) re-download "M-185 Templets ch.5, temp.5.txt" from the link in your original post
    2) open BC Manager and load the downloaded file
    3) use MIDI|Send to send the contents of the file to the BCR2000
    4) in the presets window, highlight row 5 ("M-185 Multi") and select "View|Encoders" - if all has gone well, you should see an attachment to this post called "encoders.png", which does indeed reflect the behaviour that I'm seeing in my BCR2000

To summarise what I'm getting:
    E33 outputs values in the range 0-3
    E34-E48 => 0-127
    E49 => 0-3
    E50-E52 => 0-127
    E53 => 1-0
    E54-E55 => 0-1
    E56 => 0-64

Moreover, this matches what I see in M-185 Templets ch.5, temp.5.txt, for example:

$encoder 33
      .easypar CC 5 33 0 3 absolute
      .showvalue on
      .mode 1dot
      .resolution 20 44 144 196
      .default 3

$encoder 49
      .easypar CC 5 49 0 3 absolute
      .showvalue on
      .mode 1dot
      .resolution 5 15 15 15
      .default 3

$encoder 53
      .easypar CC 5 53 1 0 absolute
      .showvalue on
      .mode 1dot
      .resolution 20 44 144 196
      .default 0

So, I guess there are two questions:
    1) Am I doing something unutterably stupid?
    2) Are you sure that the version of the file referred to in the download link is the same as the one that you're using?

Cheers,
    Tony

encoders.png 64.5K
  • Tony, my apologies, you are right, the thing is messed up, for some reason I had a good version on my BCR2k, that I did not save, and I reloaded the saved version that I uploaded....it's a mess
    I'll fix it and update it....
    cheers
  • Cool - thanks, Soundwave :-)
  • OK, try this one, but there is something strange going on with M185 and my BCR2k, mainly with pot #49 and 
    button 62-Presets See if it does on yours too.
    After you load try all functions.
    Push "shift" and click on all preset buttons so they are blue, then use button # 62 to scroll. On my machine, 
    stages jump to 5, (don't stay on 8) dont know why...
    I have been using my edirol for M185 and so I don't know...
    can you verify?
    cheers
  • Will do - but will have to wait until tomorrow, I'm afraid.

Cheers,
    Tony

• Well, that's a big improvement, but we're not quite there yet :-)

I don't see exactly the same behaviour as you do, Soundwave; specifically, pot 49 behaves as it should. Here's a summary of what I get:

Buttons E1-8 are OK, but only cycle through off/single/multi, not hold
    Button E59 doesn't act as a toggle; once it's on, it's on
    Button E62 doesn't work at all - mainly because there is no mapping for it in "BCR2k_M185no1_T5ch5.txt"; if I map it manually using MIDI Learn, then it behaves as it should. The number of stages doesn't change, though, as it does for you - do you possibly have the Presets CC mapped to the Number_Stages parameter?

I have one other suggestion: how about mapping the push action of the push encoders to toggle trill on each stage?

Cheers,
    Tony

• Forgot to say - I've only tested it with a single M-185 instance so far.

Cheers,
    Tony
  • edited July 2011
    Well, that's a big improvement, but we're not quite there yet :-)

I have one other suggestion: how about mapping the push action of the push encoders to toggle trill on each stage?
    WE're not there yet? If we are working on it together, post a template, so we can improve it ...
    I did those only to get people going with a "basic" template, while BETA testing...and it worked perfectly, until I started fiddling with it, (more soft on same template) and probably did some changes and didn't correct them...

On mine:
    Pots: E-1 to E-8 choose notes C0-G8, not cycles
    Buttons: B-1-B-8 turn midi icons on/off...(same pot E1-E8 but push-toggle)
    Buttons: B-31 to 40 cycle through 0,I,II,I-, only,......."T" is out of my midi skills, I use mouse for that.
    B-59 momentary (load), works,...B-61,B-62 =1-16, (presets) works,  (not!! saved in .txt) (you can assign each to one M185)

Explain more in detail what you mean by your Trill assignment

When I did those templates, certain things I had to assign to a common controller like re-load, play and memory Presets, because changing something on one, acted strange on the other sequencer...

So I put those in each .txt, they share them...

cheers
  • edited July 2011
    That Vanilla is a mess
    you don't know who said what
  • @soundwave - Sorry if my use of a common UK colloquialism caused offence - none was intended, and I certainly wasn't trying to take any credit for *anything*.

If you'd like me to have a go at editing the template & upload a revised version, then I will happily do that (although it will be several hours at least before I'm in a position to do that), but I thought that you would prefer to retain control and ownership.

With regard to my suggestion for the trill assignment, what I mean is that the 8 push encoders are currently used only in their rotary mode (as far as I can tell) to select the notes for each of the 8 stages; their push button action is not used for anything, so it seemed to me that it could be put to use to select Trill mode for each stage - I used MIDI learn to assign that action for a couple of the stages, and it worked very well.

I also realise that I may have got my nomenclature wrong - it was ridiculously early this morning when I was doing this - when I referred to buttons E1-E8 I meant the top row of push buttons, not the rotary push encoders. Perhaps I should re-visit all of this when I'm awake...

Cheers,
    Tony
  • edited July 2011
    That Vanilla is a mess
    you don't know who said what
    I fixed your post soundwave  :-)  This version of the Vanilla forum does the quoting based on indenting - the quoted section is indented.  Your response text should not be indented...
  • @soundwave - Sorry if my use of a common UK colloquialism caused offence - none was intended, and I certainly wasn't trying to take any credit for *anything*.

If you'd like me to have a go at editing the template & upload a revised version, then I will happily do that (although it will be several hours at least before I'm in a position to do that), but I thought that you would prefer to retain control and ownership.

With regard to my suggestion for the trill assignment, what I mean is that the 8 push encoders are currently used only in their rotary mode (as far as I can tell) to select the notes for each of the 8 stages; their push button action is not used for anything, so it seemed to me that it could be put to use to select Trill mode for each stage - I used MIDI learn to assign that action for a couple of the stages, and it worked very well.

I also realise that I may have got my nomenclature wrong - it was ridiculously early this morning when I was doing this - when I referred to buttons E1-E8 I meant the top row of push buttons, not the rotary push encoders. Perhaps I should re-visit all of this when I'm awake...

Cheers,
    Tony
    My friend, absolutely no offense on my part, and I really don't feel any particular ownership or vanity to a midi template that was uploaded. It is there to use, hack away, make improvements, what ever, I mean it, after all it is for a better control of Dan's sequencers and believe me, I bothered him for long time to get midi on M185...so I thought that at least I can upload some templates...
    I am always happy to improve (or collaborate on) a template,.....actually you're the first person to ever comment on it...(and for 5 bucks I pass you the ownership) hehe

The push rotaries E1-E8 are used for activating MIDI icons, to play notes on your midi controller (B1-B8-buttons) you must try that, you don't need to dial them with the E-pots. the Trills are like "double action", you must get to II before you can activate T...I didn't want to sacrifice buttons...
    P.S. And I didn't mean to come off so harsh....my apologies...
    Cheers K.
  • No worries, Soundwave :-)

I'm going to be stuck here at work for at least another couple of hours, but I'll try to find some time to have another play tonight. From here on in I'll make changes to the template directly, and when I've got it in a state that works for me I'll upload a new version. And then you can pull it apart... ;-)

I'll try the E1-E8 push rotaries again, but when I tried them this morning I didn't see anything happening on the M-185 interface, which is why I assumed that they were not being used. But, as I said before, it was stupidly early when I was doing this...

I know that T is only shown & activatable (is that a word? it is now...) when II is selected, but it is a separately automatable parameter, and I'm quite fond of a bit of trill action, so I'd really like to come up with a way to toggle it on/off without resorting to the mouse.

Did I mention that I was at work at the moment? I suppose I should really do some...

Cheers,
    Tony
  • OK, so I finally found some time to have a play and create a mapping that does what I need (or at least what I think I need...), and you can find the results in the zip file that should be attached to this post.

Cheers,
    Tony
  • Nice, better then mine, one minor fix, reset (B-59) must have a toggle off,   value1=1, value 2=0, otherwise it stays lit...(presets should have a common button too, # 62) (# 61 is/was toggle: midi/internal clock)

Now the only thing to do, is to  assign NOTES to first 12 buttons, since they are empty, (B33-44)..(one octave C-B- that's easy).
    Hard part: the last four buttons 45-45 should switch octaves, 0-1,1-2,2-3,3-4....so everything is contained on BCR... 
    what do you think?
    cheers
  • Cheers, Soundwave; appreciate it.

B59 was already set to toggle off; don't know why you were seeing it as toggle on - I have my suspicions that BC Manager (which, I must admit, I really don't like, but I haven't found anything better - do you know of anything?) occasionally mangles things when it exports them; I've definitely seen it change CC numbers at random when I double-click on a control to edit it...

I've left buttons 61 & 62 as they were, because it's more useful to me to be able to select presets independently for each instance than to switch between internal & MIDI clock, which is something that I doubt I would ever want to do mid-performance; do feel free to reassign them to suit your needs.

I've mapped the buttons to the (completely arbitrary!) range F2 - G#3; again, feel free to reassign to values that are more useful to you.

With regard to your final suggestion, that would be really easy to implement if the M-185 had a global transpose function; how about it, Dan - is that something that you could find room for in a future update?

Anyway, my latest efforts can be found in the attached file...

Cheers,
    Tony

• Hi Tony - re: global transpose, sure, will put it on the list for when I pop the hood for the next round of updates...
  • Cool; thanks, Dan.

Cheers,
    Tony