Audio input tab...

edited August 2013 in Audio Plugin Player
Loving Audio Plugin Player, it's solved a key problem for me by allowing me to filter my microphone input, then send the output to Soundflower and tell all my other apps to use Soundflower as their microphone source.

But wish it could do more... This is from perspective of someone who does amateur podcasts (eg. to iTunes) / radio shows (eg. via spreaker) - probably a fairly big audience out there for this sort of thing.

1. The instrument plugin panel is pointless on the audio input tab, why not replace it with a "plugin effect" slot so I can have 2 VST plugins on my mic? For example, a de-esser (to remove sibilance) and a bandpass (to remove low frequency hum).

2. It would be super-awesome if I could run 2 instances of Audio Plugin Manager or, better, have a second "Audio input" tab. Example scenario:

I want to interview someone via Skype whilst livestreaming to Spreaker. I want them to hear the cleaned version of my mic feed, not the grim sibilant and humming version. On first audio tab I set input as my mic, then filter it to remove sibilance and hum, then output to Soundflower (SF) 64ch on channels 1 & 3. On Skype I set input device as SF 64ch.

Now I want the guest's voice to also be cleaned - removing hum, high-pitch feedback loops, etc. I set output of Skype to SF 2ch. In Audio Plugin Player, on 2nd Audio Input tab, I use SF 2ch as the input, filter it and output to channels 2 & 4 of SF 64ch.

Now, SF 64ch has 4 channels of clean audio:

1 & 3 = My voice (left & right)
2 & 4 = Guest voice (left & right)

I stream SF 64ch to Spreaker, but spreaker only listens to channels 1 & 2 = My voice (left channel) & Guest voice (right channel).

Guest hears cleaned version of my voice, I hear clear version of their voice, Spreaker listeners hear both. I can mute my voice in my headphones via soundflower by setting 64ch channels 1 & 3 to "None" output device.

Using Line In app, I can take output of DJ app or other sound source and route to some other channel so I hear customer in one ear, music queueing in the other. That sort of thing.

There might be better ways to accomplish what I'm after, if so please let me know. :) There's a big audience of podcasters and online radio show hosts out there that are severely underserved by current audio apps.

3. I wish it would remember settings better, and ideally allow me to disable the Audio Instrument tab that I never use. Having to reselect VST plugin each time on startup is a PITA.

4. When using FabFilter's Pro-DS de-esser VST plugin, it crashes if I try and save settings in the viewed plugin. Not sure if that's problem with Pro-DS or Audio Plugin Player though.

Comments

• edited August 2013
    Thanks for your feedback!
    1. The instrument plugin panel is pointless on the audio input tab, why not replace it with a "plugin effect" slot so I can have 2 VST plugins on my mic? For example, a de-esser (to remove sibilance) and a bandpass (to remove low frequency hum).
    Understood.  In the meantime, you could consider trying my (much older) VSTi Host application.  I strongly suggest trying it first to be sure it will work with your plugins, as the code is much older and not really maintained anymore frankly.  The UI is less intuitive (until you get used to it) also.  But hey, if you're in a rush, give the demo a try.  And $35 is still pretty cheap!  :-)
    2. It would be super-awesome if I could run 2 instances of Audio Plugin Manager or, better, have a second "Audio input" tab. Example scenario:
    You're in luck, I'm pretty sure you can already run two instances of Audio Plugin Player at a time.  Not positive it will work, but it's easy enough to try:
    1- Duplicate the Audio Plugin Player application - just select it in your Applications folder and press command-D.

2- You'll now have the original, and one called "Audio Plugin Player copy".  Right click the copy, and choose "Show Package Contents".  Within the resulting Contents folder, edit the name of the "Audio Plugin Player.mxf" file to "Audio Plugin Player copy.mxf".  You can now close the Contents window.

3- You should now be able to start the original and the "copy" version, and they should work independently.  Please report back on how you make out!  You're definitely in "unsupported" territory, as you might imagine.

BTW, this is all very interesting, and I have zero experience with it.  But one though off the top of my head is that
    Jack OS X may be more flexible, and might allow you to do what you want with less fuss.  
    3. I wish it would remember settings better, and ideally allow me to disable the Audio Instrument tab that I never use. Having to reselect VST plugin each time on startup is a PITA.
    Noted, will see what I can do in the future.
    4. When using FabFilter's Pro-DS de-esser VST plugin, it crashes if I try and save settings in the viewed plugin. Not sure if that's problem with Pro-DS or Audio Plugin Player though.
    If you can post the crash log, that would be helpful for me to see what's up.