Current Cyclic version-85%cpu

edited August 2013 in Cyclic
extremely high cpu usage w/current version of cyclic.
1 seq going - 20%cpu
all seqs going 85% cpu, and only running cyclic, no other daw.

macbook pro, 2.3ghz intel core i7, 8gb ram, os x 10.8.4
so there shouldn't be any problems running it thats for sure.

thoughts. any updates coming soon, i noticed the site says -10.7, intel only. maybe its not optimized for 10.8

cheers. absolutely love it. as long as my laptop doesn't burn up.
intend to run it with Live 9.0.5

Comments

• if its going to smoke out at close to a 100%cpu, then its unusable on 10.8.4. 
    with the intention of using a daw that already hits the cpu.

hmmm. what to do
  • edited August 2013
    Thanks for the post sunfalls - and yes, this is a known problem.  It's one of the things that's keeping me from releasing the next update, which I had hoped to do a while ago (new features, including plugin hosting).  But I have to optimize things so it's less of a CPU hog, and so far I haven't been able to.  I'm going to keep at it though!

Also - though I'm not sure yet, I don't think it's OS dependent (it should work fine on 10.8.x, just haven't updated web site yet).  I *do* think it might be related to graphics card capability;   I get the same CPU percentages as you on my Macbook Air, but on an older Mac Pro, which I presume has a better GPU, with all sequences running I only get to 24%.  Granted, the CPU on the Mac Pro also has a better clock speed, so that may have something to do with it too. 

Anyway, will keep digging.
  • thanks for getting back.
    definitely almost can't use more than 2 sequences comfortably whilst sending midi to ableton.
    will just do that for now.
    keep us posted
  • Update - it's still not as low as ideally like it to be, but I've been able to reduce the CPU load significantly in the upcoming CycliC release I'm working on.  I'm using a different drawing approach for the highlighted steps in each circle, and that made a big difference.  This supported what I said above, around the graphics card having a big impact - a ton of the CPU was being spent on redrawing stuff. 

Still working on a few additional features that will be in that version, but hopefully not too much longer now before release.
  • most excellent. how do updates work for Cyclic ?
    i'm on v1.0

thanks for the news! 
  • It'll be a free update - if you're a registered user, you'll get an email.
  • Took a while, but finally got the new version out there - v1.5 is now available, and should help in a big way re: this CPU usage issue!  Still not quite as good as I would like, but MUCH better…