General MIDI Player always playing piano sounds on APC Key 25 keyboard

Hi there,

I have an APC Key 25 controller from AKAI and I bought the General MIDI Player so I could play the keyboard on it while studying music theory without having to fire up Ableton Live or another heavyweight software. So far I'm able to play it, but the only sounds coming out of it are piano sounds, no matter which instrument I choose on the General MIDI Player interface. Some of the buttons, other than the keyboard keys, will play notes with the currently selected instrument, but the keyboard will always play with a piano sound no matter what. 

Changing the channel selection from the interface, I was able to find out that the keyboard seems to be sending MIDI messages to channel 2, since when channel 2 is selected only the keyboard keys will produce sounds, but I still only get piano. My MIDI knowledge is limited, but I'd assume that since interface of General MIDI Player suggests that it is getting messages from the hardware and then sending it to the selection of sound bank, this could be a bug. I wouldn't expect some keys of my controller to be fixed on a single instrument and couldn't find any options that might tweak this. I don't know if somehow sound bank selection could be baked in the MIDI messages my APC's keyboard is sending, but I still would expect General MIDI Player to be able to switch it to a different instrument, since other applications are able to.

Hope you can help me with this. Cheers!

Comments

• Thanks for your report, and sorry for the trouble you're experiencing.  I'm still trying to figure out what's going on, but I'm pretty sure you've hit upon a bug.  From what I can see in a quick look, it seems as though the the instrument selection only works if your MIDI input to the app is coming in on MIDI channel 1.

Can you try to change the MIDI channel that your APC is transmitting on to channel 1, change General MIDI player to likewise respond to channel 1, and see if it now works correctly?

In the meantime I will dig in to figure out what's up.
  • Good news - I figured out the bug, and have fixed it.  I'll be uploading a revised version to Apple - it can take anywhere from 1-3 weeks for it to be approved, at which point you'll be able to download it from the App Store.

Thanks again for reporting this problem!
  • Hey, sorry I didn't get back to you with an answer on that. I forgot check the forum in the past few days. I think what you described is accurate, since the clip selection pad and other buttons of my APC seemed to be sending notes to channel 1, because when I selected channel 1 on General MIDI Player those buttons would still produce sound while the keyboard wouldn't.

Thanks a lot for looking into this and I'm glad you could figure out a fix. Looking forward to the next version!

Cheers!
  • New version 1.4 is now available in the App Store (Apple was fast with their approval process this time) - please update and let me know if the problem is solved!
  • Just tested and it works fine now. Thanks for that!

Cheers!
  • Excellent, glad to hear it, and thanks for reporting back!