MC-4 Hack now available!

Comments

• Dear Sir,

I uploaded a song from depeche mode tht I first edited into logic to split the tracks and I try to load it into MC4 Hack... It doesn't work.
    I tried to insert that file now to this mail and I get a message telling: uploaded file type not allowed... What's happening?
    Have you any demo to load into the MC4 Hack?

Thanks

F
  • Ok,
    I understood... I wanted initially to insert track after track...
    Well,I have already idea to improve that excellent software:

1) A quantize knobs per Ch should be implemented. Just because, I added a midifile and I noticed that the gate and step are not the same... It's a "mistake" as the MC4 is the tighter CV/gate sequencer...

2) a kind of edit table possibility. I already tried to edit some set of note, Gate and step... But, It would be good as well to be able to edit them via the table into "MC4 Hack" like you could do with a classic excel file.

3) Would b good to be able to insert the Tacks/CH independently. And not a set of 4 tracks... It was in fact my initial problem with the software.

4) add a kind of playlist like you can find on tractor or Live... With which you can prepare your song list... Yes, thinking to use it on stage... :-)

5) Add a VST synchro with Logic/Cubase/Live... i have anyway a midi sync box but it would be great to be able to do a midi synchro without the external synch box...

Conclusion:
    THANKS A LOT TO have worked on that software... Which is excellent!!! And, If you could work on the upgrade I listed, it would be great. I bought that software and I am ready to give additional money for these upgrades.

PK

https://sites.google.com/site/soundtwister/home

• 6) I forgot... Add also the possibility to manage more MC4 in the loading... Instead of 4 screens, add 8 screens or 12 screens depending of the amount of MC4s the user could insert at the start of the software...
  • Ok,
    I understood... I wanted initially to insert track after track...
    So to confirm, you were able to get it to work at least once, right?

Well,I have already idea to improve that excellent software:

1) A quantize knobs per Ch should be implemented. Just because, I added a midifile and I noticed that the gate and step are not the same... It's a "mistake" as the MC4 is the tighter CV/gate sequencer...
    This is likely because your timebase value was not high enough when you imported the MIDI file, or there was some scaling required - see page 21 of the documentation. I would start with a timebase of 96, and go higher if necessary.

2) a kind of edit table possibility. I already tried to edit some set of note, Gate and step... But, It would be good as well to be able to edit them via the table into "MC4 Hack" like you could do with a classic excel file.
    Yes, I agree the editing of the table could be better, but I am limited by some of the Max/MSP infrastructure that I used to build the application, and unfortunately I don't think I can do much better...

3) Would b good to be able to insert the Tacks/CH independently. And not a set of 4 tracks... It was in fact my initial problem with the software.
    Unfortunately, that's not how the MC-4 works - it loads *all* tracks at once, you cannot load just one at a time...

4) add a kind of playlist like you can find on tractor or Live... With which you can prepare your song list... Yes, thinking to use it on stage... :-)

5) Add a VST synchro with Logic/Cubase/Live... i have anyway a midi sync box but it would be great to be able to do a midi synchro without the external synch box...
    OK, will consider these ideas for the future, thanks for the feedback!

Conclusion:
    THANKS A LOT TO have worked on that software... Which is excellent!!! And, If you could work on the upgrade I listed, it would be great. I bought that software and I am ready to give additional money for these upgrades.

PK

https://sites.google.com/site/soundtwister/home

Thanks for the purchase! I'll consider those things for the future...

Dan
  • 6) I forgot... Add also the possibility to manage more MC4 in the loading... Instead of 4 screens, add 8 screens or 12 screens depending of the amount of MC4s the user could insert at the start of the software...
    Not sure I understand this one - do you mean you want to use more than one MC-4 at the same time with the software?
  • Yes! :-)
    Take a look to my website. ;-)
  • The all track at one is good for the sequence loading.But not really for the track working/editing... I think it was lack of the MC4, Now, with your software it's possible to experiment more with the MC4... Take the example you load a full 4 tracks sequence and you are not happy with one track... You want to edit it from a cubase logic software and you fetch after only this track with your software...
  • edited November 2011
    Concerning the track editing... Does your software manage/handle the tracks as a Text Tab file?
    If yes, you could just implement a function which import/export Text Tab from/into a classic excel or whatever to edit it very fast... In fact you don't need to create the functionality of the table edition into your software...
  • And yes, I managed to use it right. I had just in my minds another way of working...
  • Again me... I noticed that the file generation, the "Make MC4" take a lot of time...
    SOmetimes, I don't know if the process works or failed...

And another question, it would be good to show on the MC4 Hack window which file as been dropped into the tool and to show the file name...
  • The all track at one is good for the sequence loading.But not really for the track working/editing... I think it was lack of the MC4, Now, with your software it's possible to experiment more with the MC4... Take the example you load a full 4 tracks sequence and you are not happy with one track... You want to edit it from a cubase logic software and you fetch after only this track with your software...
    Yes, I understand what you are saying. But from the manual:

"If you specify “None” for the MIDI channel desired for any of the MC-4 channels, MC-4 Hack will not overwrite any information that may already be loaded into that channel within the application."

This means that if you want to modify only one of the four sequences in MC-4 Hack, just leave the other three channels set to "None" when you import the MIDI file into the one channel you want to modify...
  • Concerning the track editing... Does your software manage/handle the tracks as a Text Tab file?
    If yes, you could just implement a function which import/export Text Tab from/into a classic excel or whatever to edit it very fast... In fact you don't need to create the functionality of the table edition into your software...
    That's a good idea - it does not currently allow for this, but I will consider it for the future...
  • Again me... I noticed that the file generation, the "Make MC4" take a lot of time...
    SOmetimes, I don't know if the process works or failed...
    Yes, long sequences, and/or sequences with a long leader tone, take longer to make the MC-4 file... Just be patient! :-)

And another question, it would be good to show on the MC4 Hack window which file as been dropped into the tool and to show the file name...
    OK, will consider adding that in the future. Thanks!
  • edited November 2011
    I have been involved to improve the Midibox sequencer for old sequencer...
    Actually, I make running 2 MC4Bs, clocked by a midibox sequencer I built using the same kind of diplays, vacuum display it is called... All of that together looks really cool!
  • Here is a picture of the sequencer I built from the design of my friend Thorsten Klose.
  • No picture? At some point, I would like to build a Midibox myself - just no time now I'm afraid!!
  • edited November 2011
    Hi, on the fourth picture above the left rack:
    https://sites.google.com/site/soundtwister/contributions-and-contacts

Or this picture: http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/407/seq3a.jpg

http://midibox.org/forums/topic/8725-midibox-of-the-week-midibox-seq-v3-now-v4-of-francois/

Also, I just bought another MC4 as one of mine makes small troubles. I really need asap the text-tab file import, export facility... Any chance to be at least a beta tester soon? I really need this functionality urgently.
  • I have the feeling that the digital tape interface at the back of the MC4 could be connected to a printer port to load and save the sequences at high speed...
  • Very nice work on the Midibox!!

Re: file import - at this point, I have several other projects in the queue (including making all of the Mac versions Lion-compatible) ahead of any planned enhancements for the MC-4 Hack. So unfortunately I cannot promise this any time soon....

Re: digital interface - yes, perhaps!
  • If you want, I can do it... :-)
  • Speaking about the file import... :-)
  • Thanks, but at this point, I prefer to keep the programming done by me here....
  • I understand. Was just proposing to get it fast... Only.